Valentine’s Day. You either love it or you hate it. Some claim it is a “Hallmark holiday”, an ingenious marketing scam to sell candy and cheesy cards. Others feel confident that it was created to mock the single and lonely of the world. I say it is a day to celebrate! Here are 10 reasons why you should feel the love on February 14th.
1. You get to dye stuff pink ~ Milk, mashed potatoes, frosting. You name it, if it’s compatible with red food dye you can turn it pink. It’s super festive and will either thrill your kids or freak them out. Either way, totally worth it.
2. Glitter ~ I cannot think of a more glitter-friendly holiday. Grab some glitter, glue and something to bedazzle. Check out the Glitter Dipped Coffee Mug at White House Black Shutters. Great V-tines gift idea!
3. Candy ~ Buy it. Eat it. Give it. There are some pretty neat Valentine’s candies that only come out this time of year! Stock up people!
4. Heart shaped food ~ I guess I’m obsessed with turning food into some sort of Valentine’s masterpiece. Last year I made heart-shaped mini meatloaves.
5. Hand-made cards ~ Even if you aren’t crafty, this can be super fun! Martha Stewart has some pretty cool ideas here.
6. Date night ~ Valentine’s Day is the best excuse to go out to a fancy dinner. Being single is no excuse to be a stick in the mud! Get your single friends together and treat yourselves!
7. Being thoughtful ~ There are so many people in your very own town that need some extra encouragement this year. Maybe it is an elderly neighbor that just lost their spouse, or a young couple celebrating the birth of their first child. Whip up a batch of this Strawberry Swirl Fudge, wrap it in a small box with a bow, and show them you care!
8. Extra special fun with the kids ~ I saw the most amazing idea on Facebook the other day. Every day from Feb 1st to Valentine’s Day, you write a sweet note on a heart shaped paper and stick it to your little ones’ bedroom door. Each day they will wake up to a new special surprise. This would work for your hubby’s lunch box, or your coworkers cubicle! The possibilities are endless!
9. Showing love ~ We do things every day for our loved ones because we love them. But how often do we intentionally show our love through one specific (not obligated) act? If you have been slacking in this area, Valentine’s Day is a great way to start!
10. Because it is tradition ~ Honestly people, we have been celebrating this holiday for hundreds (thousands?) of years. It doesn’t have to be hokey or expensive. But February 14th is never going away, so pick out something you can enjoy about it, and someone you can enjoy it with, and lighten up!
How will you be celebrating Valentine’s Day this year?