I. Love. Salads. Not because I am some sort of health nut, diet person. I’m guessing that with the amount of dressing and other non-veggie toppings I usually add to my salads, they are not as healthy as I would like. I just love the idea of having a base of lettuce but being able to add literally anything to it and create a masterpiece in a bowl!
This recipe (if that’s what you want to call it) is basically a result of always having taco meat left over from taco night. That being said, this recipe can be easily tweaked and there are zillions of substitutions that can be made. Think of it more as an inspiration for your next salad craving.
Here is what you need:
- Taco meat (1/2 C. or more per person)
- Romaine lettuce (1/2 – 3/4 of a small head per person)
- Cherry tomatoes, quartered
- Shredded cheese
- Ranch dressing
- Tortilla chips (honestly I used Cool Ranch Doritos, awesome.)
Here is what you do:
1. Mix salsa and ranch dressing together to create your “Fiesta Ranch”. (I use a ratio of 2(ranch):1(salsa))
2. Roughly chop the lettuce and add it to the bottom of your bowl.
3. Add taco meat, tomatoes and cheese.
4. Drizzle with dressing.
5. Crumble up a small handful of chips on top.
6. Add a dollop of guacamole.
Variations: Add corn, cilantro, black beans or green peppers. Use less lettuce and more chips and call it “Upside Down Nachos” to trick your children and hubby into eating it.