You may think that you are too good for ship wreck casserole, but I assure you that if you give it a try you will not be disappointed! My husband, a fearless eater, was skeptical at first, now it’s one of his faves!
Here’s what you will need:
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 can of green beans
1 package frozen tater tots
1 lb. ground beef
1 cup shredded cheese (optional)
Salt & pepper to taste
Here is what you do:
1) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
2) Brown ground beef until cooked through, season with salt/pepper, drain
3) Spread cooked beef out in the bottom of a 9×9 baking dish
4) Drain green beans and spread out on top of beef
5) Using a spoon, spread soup over the top of the green beans (without mixing in)
6) Sprinkle cheese evenly over the soup if using
7) Add a layer of frozen tater tots (I like to do mine in neat little rows so there are no gaps)
8) Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until tots are golden and crispy
Yum! Hubby and I like to add a sprinkle of seasoned salt to the top after it has baked.
I think the appeal of the ship wreck casserole is not necessarily the ingredients (let’s be honest this is not a gourmet meal) but instead the versatility of the dish. You could use any combination of meats, veggies, soups and toppers. For instance, beef, cheddar soup and french fries layered, baked and then topped with lettuce and tomato would be a cheeseburger-like version. You could make a breakfast version, a taco version, an Italian version etc.
Do you have your own style of Ship Wreck Casserole? Please share in the comment section!