If your house is anything like my house at lunch time, the same 4 or 5 foods are requested day after day! And we don’t always have time to make a healthy and yummy lunch for our kids AND a different “mommy-fied” lunch for ourselves! It’s time to get creative and figure out how to turn your kid’s favorite foods into healthy and tasty lunches for mom!
Here are some things that I have done:
- Cut them into strips and toss on top of a salad with some shredded cheese and dried cranberries
- Chop them up and toss them in a wrap with cheese, lettuce, tomato, ranch….Whatever!
Mac and Cheese:
OK, I LOVE mac and cheese and what I usually do is heat up a cup of frozen peas and toss them in so that I get some veggie with my carbs! But you could add in any sort of frozen or fresh veggie you have on hand!
- Add thinly sliced tomato and green chiles on the inside, cut back on the cheese and use olive oil to fry it in if you want to omit the yummy butter.
- Cut into sticks, throw a cup of tomato soup into the microwave and give them a dunk!
*GASP* Yes, I do feed my family frozen pizza from time to time. It just works sometimes! And I think frozen pizza can be yummy. Whether it’s frozen pizza or bagel pizza or homemade, you can add some veggie goodness by mixing up a quick salad with a light dressing and throwing it right on top!
Peanut Butter and Jelly:
Ok, truly I think there are worse things to eat for lunch. I happen to enjoy an over-stuffed PB&J, especially on white bread. It might as well be dessert for me. Buuuuut, if you aren’t into the old standard, here are some variations:
- Nutella and peanut butter
- Peanut butter, banana and honey
- PB&J in a tortilla or bagel
Well those are my ideas, but I just KNOW you all have done something creative in a pinch! So let’s hear your best “good enough for mommy” kid food recipes in the comments section!